This was another attempt at a book cover. You might not believe it, or you might think it is utter crap. Who knows. What I do know is that it is better than a lot of stuff I see out there. It took maybe an hour to do, but I did learn a few more tricks, which was well worth the time. There is no better way to do things than to simply teach yourself. For indie publishing, I don’t know why authors are afraid of taking up the mantle themselves and take control of the entire process.
Step 1: I grabbed a free pic online of a castle to use as the foreground. I had no idea what I was making, but figured it would be cool to use it. What I did know was that I couldn’t use the full image as it would block everything, so I shorted the height using the scale tool and shrunk it to half its height.
Step 2:I found a cool picture of a castle/monastery of some sort. I thought this would look cool high above a city or fortress. So I copied it (another free pic).
Step 3: I looked for a random landscape with a rocky formation on the crest of a hill. There was someone paragliding in the sky, which was going to be a problem. I adjusted the colors a few times using the layer options. At this point I was just seeing if I could do dark green.
Step 5: If I was using a castle, a blue sky would not do. I needed something more epic, so I figured a sun would be cool, maybe I could shine it behind the castle.
Step 6: So this is where I began incorporating the elements. I added the landscape using the lasso tool, and using the color adjustment to make it more red. This solved the paraglider problem and added a cool sun.
Step 7: This step was more complicated than most. It is very hard to tell all the details, but I had to lasso that damn castle/monastery and then use the eraser brush to clean up the edges. This took like 10 damn minutes. Then I added it and it looked retarded as shit, so I had to adjust the colors and tone to make it more red to match the light and ground. In a step after this, I used the blur tool to make the castle and ground edges blend in.
Step 8: Here I added the foreground castle,, to which I think was a shitty job at this point. If I was going to actually making this a book cover, I would spend an hour making sure it was copied correctly and the light was done right. Instead, it is out of place I think. It should be darker and I should have swiped in between the turrets.
Step 9: I simply added some text (I made up a title) and added my name. I chose a font that I think looked more regal, then I added a slight 3D tint to everything. Overall, it was pretty darn easy considering I only learned photoshop this past week.